Funding support to
the maritime industry
We support the career development of seafarers and organisational projects, through a variety of funding opportunities.
Financial support for unemployed seafarers
We provide individual grant funding support to eligible unemployed seafarers to update their skills and/or revalidate specific certification requirements to increase their employability potential.
You can apply for financial support by downloading and completing the application form. Applicants are advised that there is a discretionary funding cap of £2,000 for any individual candidate.
*Until further notice, this funding opportunity is unavailable*
Funding is available to eligible shipping companies (employers) who provide places for rating trainees on approved apprenticeship programmes.
These are currently:
- Able Seafarer (deck) apprenticeship (trailblazer)
- Able Seafarer (engine room) apprenticeship
- Maritime Caterer apprenticeship
- OOW 500gt Near Coastal
- Small Vessel Chief Engineer 3000gt/9000kW
- Master 500gt Near Coastal
A bursary of £4,000 per trainee can be claimed by the employer as follows:
- £2,000 on confirmation of registration at an approved college onto the apprenticeship programme;
- £2,000 on evidence of completion of training and achievement of the apprenticeship